Sunday, May 20, 2012

Discussion Time!

Otherwise known as time I tell you what I think.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/19/my-take-the-christian-case-for-gay-marriage/?hpt=hp_c3

I like this guy, at least based on this one article. It really does make a lot of sense. I mean, I'm not a Christian or anything so I guess I don't know all the ins and outs - but to me this seems so obvious. Who gives a flying fluck if two men or two women decide to get married? How is it going to affect you?

What I see in the Bible’s accounts of Jesus and his followers is an insistence that we don’t have the moral authority to deny others the blessing of holy institutions like baptism, communion, and marriage. God, through the Holy Spirit, infuses those moments with life, and it is not ours to either give or deny to others.

I love that quote. And I mean, I get it. I do. If you're a Christian minister and you do not believe in gay marriage because  you believe that homosexuality is a sin then that's fine, you don't have to perform the ceremony. I just don't understand how these people that believe it's wrong on a religious level have any right to stand up and say legally it shouldn't be allowed.

But, then again, I also don't understand how it's even up for debate in the legal arena. I don't understand how it can be allowed that the government is denying rights to citizens. I've never been able to hear a good, logical reason for people to be against it that does not include religion. If that is the case - then why is there any debate over it what so ever? I don't even understand the argument about protecting the sanctity of marriage. Sure, if the divorce rate wasn't higher than the college graduation rate (okay exaggeration there - but only very slightly) I could see the argument there. Back in the day, if you got married that was it. No do overs, no divorce once you realize things didn't work out. You were stuck. Marriage was actually a huge commitment. That's not to say that it isn't now, but it's so easy to get out of it that it doesn't mean the same thing that it used to in the minds of most people. '

So that's my insight of the day. On to what's actually happening in my life (not much, as it turns out)

My candles apparently shipped today from Wal-Mart. I think this probably means that they packaged it up and dropped it the box and will be ready to go out first thing tomorrow morning. It's estimating delivery on the 29th, and I guess I'm okay with that. Although, up until that time I'm probably going to be kicking myself for not spending the extra $12 to get the expedited shipping. It will be fine, it will all work out, everything will come together. This is going to be my mantra for the next two weeks.

I still haven't received my cupcake trees. I really want them, and I hope they arrive in time. If not, it's actually not that big of a deal. My cake stand is pretty enough, and I think it will be okay if I just put the cupcakes on the table. That's just what I'm telling myself in case they don't show up in time.

And now that I've just written a nice long post - I think it's time for me to gather laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment