Thursday, July 12, 2012

A taste of New Orleans


Alrighty then. When I went to visit my family in New Orleans after the wedding, my Aunt Chesney made me an absolutely wonderful cookbook full of family recipes. Really, this thing is beautiful. When I think about all the love and effort that went into this project it makes me feel all gooey inside.

Anyways, I decided that I wanted to use it and make something yummy from New Orleans. I decided Jambalaya was a good choice. That recipe was so simple. And it didn't even contain anything I don't like! Although, honestly, you could add/subtract anything you wanted. It's not one of those recipes that you must follow to a T.

Lauren's Jambalaya:















Ingredients:
1 can French Onion soup
1 can Beef Broth
1/2 cup Shallots (green onions)
1 small can Tomato Sauce
1 stick melted Margarine
I small box Uncle Ben's Converted Rice (16 oz)*
1 1/2 teaspoons Tony Chachere
1 teaspoon minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Parsley
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 lb Chicken**
1 lb Sausage**

*This is what the recipe uses. However, any rice that you have on hand will be fine. I used Jasmine rice for mine.
**You can also use shrimp, ham, or whatever you have in place of these meats.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F
Combine ingredients in a baking dish and stir
Cover and put in oven for 45 minutes
Take out and stir
Put back into oven for another 45 minutes

Be sure not to uncover during cooking except for the ONE time you are stirring.

And that's it. Nice and easy. The recipe makes a lot of food too. But that's okay, because it's great for leftovers. If you're not a leftovers kind of person (like my dear husband) then you might want to half the recipe. You'll have more than enough for two people with half of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment